Knights' run defeats Hi-Liner boys

The Valley City High School boys basketball team
seemed on the verge of its first Eastern Dakota Conference
win Friday.
Chase Carpenter closed out the first half of the
weekend opening game against Grand Forks Central
with a 3-pointer and the team carried the momentum
into the first six minutes of the second half to take a
39-36 lead with 12 minutes left.
But as quickly as the Hi-Liners got the lead, it
disappeared over the next seven minutes as the visiting
Knights went on a run to go up 12 points, which
the Hi-Liners couldn’t make up in the 64-53 loss.
“It was a good game played throughout, we just
couldn’t come up with a few things in the second half,”
Valley City coach Scott Hurlimann said. “We just
got down a little bit and weren’t able to get over that
It was a run that moved the score from a 39-36 lead
for Valley City into a 53-41 lead for GFC that was fueled
by Knights teammates Sean Norton and David Olson.
Olson started the run with two 2-pointers and
8 total points. Olson had two 3-pointers for six, and
teammate Killian Gause had a 3-pointer.
The duo of Olson and Norton provided strong
offense for GFC in not only the run, but the game,
finding open looks and accounting for 44 of the
team’s 64 points. “We knew that those two
were very good players and that we had to watch them,”
Hurlimann said. “Give them credit, they did a heck of a
job offensively there.”
But it wasn’t like the Knights ran circles around
the Hi-Liners. Rather, it was a game
until the late run.
GFC scored the first points of the game, but
Valley City was able to consistently get the ball to
Chase Carpenter, who hit shots from all over the floor,
be it a long range jumper or an easy layup.
Carpenter, who finished the game with 21 points,
scored 10 of Valley City’s first 12 points and finished
with 18 of the Hi-Liners’ 28 in the first half.
He got scoring support from Mason Denholm, who
had a five points in the first half, as well as Joey Halgrimson
and Josh Magnuson.
GFC went on a late run to end the first half, but Carpenter kept the lead from getting too large by hitting a buzzer beating 3-pointer to limit GFC’s lead to 30-28.
“He’s a good offensive player and he did a heck of a good job there, so we were happy to see that,” Hurlimann said. “He’s got to continue that. We’ve got to do a better job in the second half, but overall, he did a good job.”
In the second half, Carpenter faced heavy coverage and had limited looks.
He only got three more points in the second half, as Magnuson took the lead in the paint and different players found different shots depending on the situation. After the late run, Valley City never got the lead within seven points.
Hurlimann said his team just needs to close out games.
“We’re right there competing with good teams in
the EDC, one of these times we’ve just got to get over
the hump and get a win,” he said. “We’ve just got to learn to close it out and learn to get that win in the second.”