9-12 local digest
VCSU's Eliacin Awarded
Valley City State University football player was named the Association of Independent Institutions Male Athlete of the Week, the conference announced Monday.
Eliacin, a tight end, had four catches in the Vikings' win over Mayville State Saturday. In those four receptions he had two touchdowns (one for 67 yards and one for 52 yards) and 127 total yards.
VCSU Drops to No. 21
After splitting their first two games of the season, the VCSU football team dropped to No. 21 in the NAIA Football Coaches' Top 25 Poll, which was released Monday.
The Vikings had been ranked No. 17 entering the season, but lost 49-7 at No. 4 Morningside (Iowa) College in their season opener before getting a 38-13 win over Mayville State last weekend.
The Vikings continue the season Saturday at Dakota State University in Madison, S.D.
VCHS Tennis Swept
The Valley City High School tennis team lost 9-0 on the road Tuesday to West Fargo.
"We played with the right demeanor," coach Matt Nielson said. "Our heads were up and you couldn't tell by our body language the score."
The team continues a busy week with a match Thursday at Fargo North, followed by a home match with Mandan at 11 a.m. Friday and a tournament in West Fargo Saturday.
1. Â Dustin Miller lost to Brady Ballweber 6-1, 6-1
2. Â Ricky Paulson lost to Keyan Farahmand 6-0, 6-1
3. Â Dalton Ondracek lost to North Knewtson 6-4, 6-2
4. Â Wyatt Reinhart lost to Nick Sikorski 6-3, 6-2
5. Â Brandon Miller lost to Michael Holland 6-1, 6-1
6. Â Iain Horner lost to Brendan Walker 6-0, 6-0
1. Â D. Miller/Paulson lost to Ballweber/Walker 6-2, 6-1
2. Â Reinhart/B.Miller lost to Farahmand/Holland 6-1, 6-0
3. Â Ondracek/Horner lost to Knewtson/Sikorski 6-0, 6-0