Skip to main content

Fire Damages Roof on Thrivent Building

August 14, 2014

Fire, likely caused by an old exhaust fan, damaged the roof of the Thrivent building on Second Street, Valley City, Wednesday.

Valley City Fire Department responded to the call at about 2 p.m. Wednesday after reports of smoke in the building. Occupants of the building reported light smoke in the businesses on the main floor, with heavier smoke in the second floor apartments. Firefighters had difficulty, however, finding the source of the smoke, said VCFD Chief Gary Retterath, either by visual inspection and using thermal imaging, as the fire was contained to an area in the roof.

The fire was likely smoldering since Tuesday, said Retterath, and appeared to come from an old exhaust fan that still had power and was discovered after firefighters removed a portion of the roof. Because the roof was well-insulated, the fire likely did not receive enough air to spread.
Crews spent over three hours at the scene.

The Valley City American Legion Post 60 baseball team defeated Casselton 4-3, and 7-2. See Tuesday'...
The Hi-Liner softball team lost to Bismarck Century 2-6. See the Monday Times-Record to read more.
The Hi-Liner girls' softball team fell to the Jamestown Blue Jays 6-12. See the Friday Times-Record...

 

Classified Ads

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes