Hi-Liner junior Dalton Ondracek.
Hi-Liner boys tennis, featuring an influx of new talent, hosted Fridayâ€™s season opener against Grand Forks Central as they fell, 9-0.
â€śThis year, we increased our numbers to 21 total tennis players to include eight 7th-graders,â€ť Hi-Liner head coach Matt Nielson said. â€śBecause we had many new faces and not many returning, we played 10 Varsity on Friday to get many different people experience and to see where each player is against an opponent. We are figuring out our best lineup in both singles and doubles.â€ť
1. Dalton Ondracek lost to Kyle Folson, 6-3, 6-0
2. Brandon Miller lost to Dallas Chambers, 6-1, 6-0
3. Evan Haglund lost to Christian Wedin, 6-1, 6-0
4. Dempsey Williams lost to Ethan Comeau, 6-0, 6-0
5. Collin White lost to Matt Picklo, 6-1, 6-1
6. Zach Baumgartner lost to Kyle Stauss, 6-0, 6-0
1. Ondracek/Miller lost to Folson/Chambers, 6-0, 6-1
2. Sam Jenson/Brighton Smith lost to Andrew Thompson/Andy Manske, 6-1, 6-1
3. Hunter Burchill/Riley Miller lost to Wedin/Noah Cieklinski, 6-1, 6-0
â€śLast year, we won one Eastern Dakota Conference match against Wahpeton and beat Wahpeton in the play-in match to make it to Regionals,â€ť Nielson said. â€śAlso, we had one State-qualifying Doubles team in Derek Reimers and Dustin Miller, both seniors. Those top two players on our ladder graduated, along with our No. 5 player. We finished with 11 players on the roster, [grades] 7-12.â€ť
Valley City (0-1 EDC, 0-1 overall) heads to Grand Forks, N.D., for Tuesdayâ€™s 4 p.m. match at Red River.
View more articles in: